Wednesday, July 5, 2023

LET ME READ TO YOU MY PROSE


Talk about a rabbit hole. I'm reading a biography written by a friend of mine, Barry Alfonso, about multi-media hustler Rod McKuen. (Voice of the Warm, Backbeat Books, 2019) I couldn't have been less interested in McKuen, but as I know the author, his taste and his writing (plus he was a hoot to hang out with when he lived in town) I thought I'd give it a shot. It's actually really good!

There were a few things I learned about the McKuen guy I didn't give a shit about. I think we all know that Richard Hell and the Void Oids' "Blank Generation" was based on the McKuen penned "The Beat Generation". I've posted it before but did not know that the Dor that it is co-credited to (along with Bob McFadden), is in fact McKuen (the three letters of his first name backassward). Another thing I didn't know was that the band on it was none other than Bill Haley and his Comets. That's an oddball factoid for you.

The book has tons of stuff like that. I don't want to give any more of it away. It's a good read. Check the interview with Barry about "The Beat Generation". I haven't read it yet but if I trusted him enough to shell out for a book, I think I trust him enough to click. There's a racoon loose in the store.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Don McFadden and Dor - The Beat Generation mp3
at Internet Archive
Richard Hell & the Voidoids - Blank Generation mp3 at Plain or Pan (1976 Ork Records 45 version)
Rod McKuen - No Pictures Please mp3
at Internet Archive
Visit:
Interview #4: Barry Alfonso
at Rock and the Beat Generation

No comments: