Friday, April 22, 2022

THAT TIME THIS WEEK'S SHOW WAS AWESOME


This is a reminder of how well rounded late night TV used to be. Back in the late 80's sax player David Sanborn co-hosted a show with Jools Holland, a keyboard guy, called Night Music. The line-ups were varied, from Sonic Youth to Miles Davis, but always seemed geared to music nerds. The episode I just ran across is a good example of the cool-versity: Sonny Rollins, Leonard Cohen, Was (Not Was) and Ken Nordine. Those of you that know those names...never mind, you're not reading anymore.


3 comments:

Marc said...

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea this show existed! In 1989 I wasn't listening to much beyond rock and occasionally classical music, but now this kind of thing is right up my alley, and I need to go and track down more episodes.

And actually, I did know about Ken Nordine even then.

Marc

Steve D. said...

Well, it was only once a week on Friday, in the time slot in which "Late Night with David Letterman" ran on Monday - Thursday [+ 30 minutes]. If you think deeply about this, the people to whom this show might have appealed were likely out of the house at a music event on Friday night. So the ratings on this were not sufficient.

Tom G. said...

Excellent point Steve. That would definitely be why I only vaguely remembered it.