Tuesday, April 5, 2022

SUCRETS HAS A POSSE


Well ain't that about a suck. I ran into an old link to a Mickey Hawks song and it was kaput. I went to the hosting site and only the home page was still functioning.That wouldn't be a big deal except that there are several links sprinkled around here that I'll have to double check and update if possible. I wouldn't bother but most of the cuts were prime, as in essential, rockabilly. Mickey Hawk was what I was looking for, so let's start with him.

Hawks was a singer and piano player that recorded under his own name and with his band as the Night Raiders. A couple things to note: On the first song, an instrumental, the lead instrument is guitar, and not Hawks at all. Still good though, notable because the guitar player and writer of the song, Bill Ballard, was only sixteen years old at the time. He joined the band at age fourteen. The other thing is Hawks's voice on "Bip Bop Boom" and "Screamin' Mimi Jeanie". It's my very favorite type of rock 'n' roll voice. Enough of a continuous scream that you know they're doing major damage. He's up there with Little Richard, Nick Curran, Gerry Roslie and Bunker Hill. Here we go, I feel myself getting pulled away. Before I go run off to the Land of the Shredded Larynx,  a tip. Read the Hawk profile at the Hound. He does a more thorough job than anybody else.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Mickey Hawks - Cotton Pickin' mp3 at Rocky 52
The Night Raiders - Bip Bop Boom mp3 at Rocky 52
The Night Raiders - Screamin' Mimi Jeanie mp3 at Rocky 52
Mickey Hawks - Rock and Roll Rhythm mp3
at Rocky 52
Visit:
Mickey Hawks and the Night Raiders
at The Hound Blog

No comments: