Tuesday, July 31, 2018

YEP, TOTALLY SAFE FOR WORK.

I gotta be honest. When presented with the music of Blowfly I think novelty act, like a more vulgar version of Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts. Songs about screwing with all sorts of cuss words, ha, ha, ha. Doesn't really move me, seems cheap. I know that's the point and they are humorous, but nothing that I'd necessarily think of as a great achievement. So he's not the sort of singer that I feel a need to read up on. But in the interest of due diligence, I checked Wikipedia (oh yeah, real diligent). I knew he had a "normal" music career under his real name, Clarence Reid, but no idea that he'd written for, or produced, Betty Wright, Sam & Dave, Gwen McCrae, Jimmy "Bo" Horne, Bobby Byrd, and KC & the Sunshine Band.
 


I ran into Blowfly's "The First Black President" at Probe is Turning-On the People. The fucking thing hooked me, just because it was so brainless. Right night I guess. That lead me to more. When I ran into his Punk Rock Party, I was thinking about what a complete cheap joke wonder he was. Writing dirty lyrics to the Clash? Adding cuss words to Black Flag? What does that accomplish? Cheap gags and records sold. The whole point.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Blowfly - The First Black President, Part 1 mp3 at Probe is Turning-On the People
Blowfly - The First Black President, Part 2 mp3 at Probe is Turning-On the People Go there to get it. Scroll down to Session 242
Blowfly - Live at WFMU (five songs) at Free Music Archive Click on the downward pointing arrows to the right of the song titles to download.
Blowfly's Punk Rock Party (streaming) at YouTube
More Blowfly and Clarence Reid stuff on this old post

No comments: