Tuesday, July 24, 2018

SAG, DRAG, FALL, AND DIG BOY, DIG, DIG

Playing a little rockabilly pinball over here. Bouncing all over the place. I was over at The Probe and saw that he had recently posted a mix of a bunch of covers of "Blue Suede Shoes". I looked at the playlist and there it was, a name I hadn't seen in a thousand years, Sid King and the Five Strings. Shit howdy, I knew them. Columbia put out a couple of rockabilly compilations in the late seventies and they were one of my earliest exposures to obscure, non-hit, rockabilly by a bunch of people I didn't know. These compilations were good. Fucking packed. Sid King and the Five Strings had a couple cuts on each one. The one that came to mind was "Sag, Drag and Fall". Check that and consider that it was recorded in 1955, right when things were picking up steam, still retaining a good deal of the -abilly.

Freddie Hart is down there because he was on the first of the compilations and that particular song reminds me of my younger brother. One time we were drinking beer, getting a little buzzed as twenty something brothers are want to do, and he started singing the "you gotta dig boy, dig, dig" chorus. The record wasn't even playing. It made me happy, and still does, that he had been listening.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sid King and The Five Strings - Sag, Drag and Fall mp3 at Rocky 52
Sid King and The Five Strings - When My Baby Left Me mp3
at Rocky 52
Sid King and The Five Strings - Gonna Shake This Shack Tonight mp3
at Rocky 52
Sid King and The Five Strings - Blue Suede Shoes mp3
at Rocky 52
Freddie Hart - Dig Boy Dig
(streaming) at YouTube
The Probe's mix:
Blue Suede Shoes - Eleven versions
(zip) at Probe is Turning-On the People Scroll down to session 609

No comments: