Saturday, July 7, 2018

DEAD SOUL SINGER SAVES DAY.

I was prepared to make ten kinds of fun of Goddo. The were a band from Canada back in the seventies. I happened on a live video featuring a bassist that looks like one of the Buggles and guitarist whose solo (scorching, if his guitar face can be believed) would require the talent of a high school-age aspiring metal head. It's ridiculous, a medley of two songs, "Tough Times/Cock On"", the titles of which would have you expecting this band to have something to back it up with. But it's just rock, shitty contrived clichéd rock. That got me to thinking. This live video was from 1979. I wanted to compare it to U.S. bands at the time to see if I was giving Canada a fair shake, but I couldn't think of what bands were massively popular in the U.S. in '79, not because there weren't any. It's just that I was ignoring mainstream shit. I was, and still am, in a bubble. Punk rock, rockabilly, reggae, soul, blues, surf, and so on. Very little mainstream shit seeps in.

Then I remembered; one band I was listening to in 1979 was the Crawdaddys. The Crawdaddys were from a completely different planet than Goddo's. They were an r&b band, in the vein of an early Stones. So, that got me to check out some Crawdaddys videos, one from around 1979, a shitty quality video of them doing "Cadillac", then a more recent live video of them doing "36-22-36" which was great. It prompted me to revisit Bobby Blue Bland's version. And once you realize how quickly you went from Goddo to Bobby Blue Bland you just keep moving forward and don't look back.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Bobby Blue Bland - Turn On Your Lovelight mp3 at Corey Barksdale (?)
Bobby Blue Bland - I Wouldn't Treat a Dog The Way You Treat Me mp3 at Crowell
Bobby Blue Bland - 36-22-36 (live) mp3
at LP Cover Lover
Video:
Goddo - Tough Times/Cock On!
at YouTube
The Crawdaddys - Cadillac
at YouTube 1979?
The Crawdaddys - 36-22-36 (live)
at YouTube 2015

No comments: