Thursday, July 19, 2018

NINE MINUTES IN THE TRANSPORTER ROOM

Man, the other night I needed a break. I decided to do something I haven't done in a while, sit my ass down on the couch and just listen to music with no distractions, eyes closed, the whole bit. The jazz station was on, a show called Cool Struttin' which can be hit and miss, but the host DJ, John Phillips, has some old school taste so I gave it a shot. After about twenty seconds of piano the sax came in, then the cymbals and barely noticeable bass. You know, I hate it when people use the term "transported" when they describe music, but fuck me if I wasn't transported. When the song ended, I couldn't have told you if I was sitting there listening for five minutes or an hour. I do know that I was taken out of my dank apartment and sent somewhere.

The song was "Wise One" by the John Coltrane Quartet ("the classic quartet" as my friend PJ likes to say). Listen to it, McCoy Tyner in the middle, Coltrane on the left, Elvin Jones, with just cymbals, on the right and a very sparse Jimmy Garrison way in the background, playing so sparingly it makes reggae bass lines sound busy in comparison. This is the shit.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
John Coltrane Quartet - Wise One (streaming) at YouTube

No comments: