Wednesday, June 22, 2022

FROM THE "IT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME" FILE


After hearing Bull Moose Jackson's "Big Ten Inch Record" last night I thought I'd try to round up a few more "naughty" songs from the same era. I expected to find a few but realized that there are far more. The more I looked, the more there were. So the songs below will have to suffice. A few things to note. One is that "My Ding-A-Ling" by Dave Bartholomew was covered by Chuck Berry in 1972. It's a decent song, clever for it's time. Here's the thing: As you know (you better know), Chuck Berry wrote and recorded half a billion top notch classic rock 'n' roll songs. If he wants to sneak in a cover, he's earned it.  But this is how fucked up American listeners are. His live cover of "My Ding-A-Ling" was his only #1 hit. Ever. Ain't that 'bout a suck?

After scavenging these songs last night, I was listening to "Big Ten Inch Record" again and remembering that there was a time that hadn't heard the original, Id only heard Aerosmith's cover from their third album. I'm not a big Aerosmith fan, if you consider hating Aerosmth the same as not being a big fan. But they didn't always suck, and I gotta say "Big Ten Inch Record" was a good obscure r&b song to cover. So I thought I'd listen to it again. Then I noticed that it was just a few seconds shorter than Jackson's. I was bored so I played them both at the same time, pausing to try to synch them up. Give it a go. It was fun for about two minutes and thirteen seconds.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~ 
Listen:
Bull Moose Jackson - Big Ten Inch Record mp3
at Internet Archive
The Toppers - Let Me Bang Your Box mp3
at Internet Archive
Dave Bartholomew - My Ding-A-Ling mp3
at Internet Archive
The Treniers - Poon-Tang mp3
at Internet Archive
Aerosmith - Big Ten Inch Record
(streaming) at YouTube

1 comment:

Steve D. said...

There was that night of the day when I had the paradigm shift about through-running trains in Tokyo, Japan {"If I wait for the third train, it will run directly to the station where I am exiting.?!"}: September 2007. I wound up in Billy Barew's Beer Bar in Shinjuku. It was playing a bunch of English-language records, including ones from Aerosmith. Despite my fragile Japanese, I managed to get it to play "Big Ten Inch Record". I considered that another small victory for comprehending Japan.