Friday, November 12, 2021

HELL YEAH IT WAS A DIFFERENT TIME


I wasn't cognizant of a lot of soul music when it was originally released. I was alive but so young that I didn't even know what music was. My first exposure was hearing some coming out of the garage from my Dad's workbench radio while he was sorting fasteners or whatever the fuck he did in there while we were outside doing yard work. I didn't know the titles as they weren't my per-adolescent bag, man.

Once in our teens my brothers and I would listen to the oldies station and some of the songs that had been playing in the garage were familiar enough to have had an association. A lot were one hit wonders, most way out of the scope of a Motown, Stax or Atlantic. I've always liked those types of soul records, the B-listers, from that particular era. Here's a few that will be very  familiar to some of you. One thing that I always try to keep in mind, there are twenty somethings walking around who have no idea who the Beatles are. It boggles my mind but it is truth. Scarier, there are people with normal day to day lives, responsible citizens, who have never heard the O'kaysions' "Girl Watcher".

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
J,J, Jackson - But It's Alright mp3
at Internet Archive
O'kaysions - Girl Watcher mp3
at Internet Archive
Archie Bell and the Drells - Tighten Up mp3
at Internet Archive
Cliff Nobles and Co. - The Horse mp3
at Internet Archive

No comments: