Tuesday, September 7, 2021

ONE DEMERIT: RUNNING PROMO SHOT


If you're a regular here, you know by now my propensity toward distractions and weak excuses for not giving you any usable info. It's the whole shopping bag tonight. I was poking around at the long dormant Art Decade and ran into Gang of Four's "Love Like Anthrax". Remembering what a great abrasive guitarist Andy Gill was, I nosedived through a few other songs and landed on a live video from a reunion tour, I'm guessing (it's from 2010). Two things hit me. One was what a great live band they were. The 2010 performance was over twenty five years after I'd seen them and this set is just as riveting. The other thing that hit me, reminded me, how many types of music they mix up. Funk, no wave, punk and, at times, crazy feedback. The first song on the live thing, "Return the Gift" is like a no wave band covering Roxy Music. (There are parts that sound like a deconstructed "Editions of You".) I got that far in and realized that, naw, I'm backing away from the keyboard. I'm going to go in the other room and break something, just for the hell of it.


No comments: