Sunday, September 26, 2021

IS DRUM FACE A THING?


Years ago in San Francisco I was urged by a friend of mine to walk to a nearby jazz club where Art Blakey was playing. The hook was that you could watch from the sidewalk by looking through an open window. Being a card carrying tightwad, that was all I needed to hear. So, my first jazz show was Art Blakey. This was decades ago and I had no idea how legendary Blakey was. The one thing I remember vividly was Blakey's habit of playing with his mouth wide open, what I guess could be referred to as drum face. The music was great, though I have to admit it would be years before I bought a Art Blakey record. I had not yet crossed the jazz line. Now, looking back, I'm so glad I got to see him play.

Here's a 1958 concert from right after "Moanin'" was released. There's a couple random things down there too. The real goods are over at Rubber City Review.

2 comments:

jonder said...

I can't think of any good drum faces. Maybe Keith Moon? Country Dick Montana was fun to watch when he came out from behind the kit.

Come to think of it, a lot of drummers maintain a stern expression. Charlie Watts was great at looking unimpressed or at best bemused by Mick and Keef.

My son is a bassist. The bass face that always cracks me up is when he looks down at his instrument in mock amazement, as if he can't believe what his own hands are playing.

Tom G. said...

Ha! Two things here. One: Country Dick (AKA Dan McLain) was a good friend of mine! Two: Bass face duly covered a few weeks ago:
https://ladimensiondetrastos.blogspot.com/2021/08/blame-it-on-bass-face.html