Wednesday, March 10, 2021

LOCK DOWN THEATER NIGHT 52


I saw the poster above a few days ago and immediately recognized it as a nod to the magazine Rock Scene, a magazine you're not likely to remember unless you were around when it was still being published. I do remember it, picking it up at the magazine stand along with Circus, Creem and Rolling Stone. Of those magazines, Rock Scene had their finger on the pulse of newer stuff. In those days there were hardly any fanzines that were widely distributed. (Paul William's Crawdaddy may have been around, and maybe Greg Shaw's Who Put the Bomp, but I never saw them.) Rock Scene was somewhere in the gap between "legitimate" glossy rock magazines and fanzines. Color cover, black and white newsprint on the inside, tailor made to yellow and fall apart in no time. It did cover national acts and had record company ads, but it was still like a fanzine. No substantial writing, tons of behind the scenes snapshots but low on art as it was, it was the first place I ever heard of Blondie, Television, Talking Heads, Richard Hell, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash and a bunch of others. And it was the first time I encountered the name Danny Fields.

I saw a Danny Fields doc on YouTube, and that was it. A movie I'd watch myself. Danny Says is a bio pic about a New York scene fixture from early on, pre-punk. He was in the orbit of Andy Warhol's crowd way back in the mid-sixties, involved with the Stooges, the MC5, the Ramones and many others. So, I went looking. I wanted to include an image of Rock Scene due to the similarity of the poster above. I did not expect to find an archive. This is good stuff. I swear I've looked for this very thing before, but it must have been a while ago. This archive seems to have started in 2018. I recommend starting with the 1976 issues.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Watch:
Danny Says
at YouTube
Visit:
Rock Scene archive
at Rock Scene Magazine Click on the covers to view whole magazine.
Rock Scene Magazine
home page

No comments: