Saturday, March 13, 2021

DIG IT. A MESS OF FELA. (SLIGHT RETURN)

There's a reason for this repost. I was in a Fela mood and once I started grooving that outweighed hassling with doing something from scratch. Plus, Fela. Here's the original post:

Yesterday I was talking to a friend and the conversation turned to Fela Kuti. He'd never heard of him, so a thumbnail sketch was in order. I told him that Fela was the like the James Brown of Nigeria. He had spent some time in the U.S., back in the 1969, and while he was here he was exposed to the black power movement, the Black Panthers, activism and so forth. When he went back to Nigeria, he did so recharged. That's about as thumbnail as I could muster. (Check Wikipedia or elsewhere for a more detailed or accurate profile. I'm a little lazy tonight.)

I'd planned on just sending him links to some of the past posts about Fela here, but when I went back to check them, there were quite a few dead links. The cuts below are all the links that were still working. If you come here regularly, you've heard them, but the good news is that when I went looking for some that I hadn't posted I ran into a whole mess of 'em. Seriously, over seventy Fela cuts.

The songs below are the ones that have been posted before. The mother lode is at Internet Archive, available streaming and as downloads in multiple formats. These things don't stay around long, so if you dig Fela, don't blink.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Fela Kuti - Water No Get Enemy mp3 at Miss Trade
Fela Kuti - Shakara mp3
at Essentially Eclectic
Fela Kuti - Mistake mp3
at Soul Donuts
Fela Kuti - Lady mp3
at Tumblr

Fela Kuti & Africa 70 Organization - Colonial Mentality (1977) mp3 at Soul Safari
Fela Kuti & Africa 70 Organization - Monkey Banana (1976) mp3
at Soul Safari
Fela Kuti & Africa 70 Organization - Yellow Fever (1976) mp3
at Soul Safari

The big bag:
Fela Kuti - Saluting the Black President
at Internet Archive 78 songs. NOTE: Once there, scroll down the page. In the right column, under "Download options" click on "VBR MP3 Files".

No comments: