Saturday, March 6, 2021

ERGO, STONER JAZZ


I was checking links on old posts and ended up revisiting one with the Art Ensemble of Chicago with Fontella Bass. She's the one who did "Rescue Me" back in the sixties, primarily a soul singer. The Art Ensemble of Chicago at the time (1970) was based in Paris, and Bass was married to Lester Bowie, the trumpet player. I know little of the Art Ensemble of Chicago so I'm not going to bullshit around. I do know that the song has so much shit going on in it that you stay glued. At one moment you'll be thinking "Wow, that drummer is hot shit" and a half minute later the whole thing goes on attack, where once was a groove is now an in your face full-on jazz freakout. Bass's vocals are only used sparingly, but if you think "Rescue Me", you'll hear her that voice doing wonderful things. So, as things go around here, I'm sidelined adding someone to my list and schooling myself. Dig the live videos. That drummer is hot shit.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: