Sunday, January 6, 2019

SEND REVERB

I'm not one to bitch and moan, well, yeah I am. So I will. I hate bad surf music. Especially with cliché band names or song titles. I know there's good, authentic stuff being made, but I'm here to tell you, Surf Guitar 101 is not the type of site that you're going to find it at. At least in current "surf" bands. Nonetheless, I find it my duty to at check out their compilations every couple of years. The latest one I could find is 2016. A piece of work, that one. Rather then ragging on it at length lets just say that A) Most of these bands think any guitar instrumental is surf music. B) More than a few find it necessary to use surf type terms in their song titles or band names. C) Few have the classic tone, and D) almost none have the real dripping sort of reverb. Taken as non-surf music, some are interesting. One that is not surf at all but worth listening to, for curiosity sake, is Surf Manchu's "Pipeline Über Alles". If you're familiar with the Chantays' "Pipeline" and the Dead Kennedys' "California Über Alles", you can pretty much guess what they're trying to do here. As surf music, it pretty much blows, but as a mash up it's definitely got some interesting stuff going on.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Surf Manchu - Pipeline Über Alles mp3 at Internet Archive
The Chantays - Pipeline mp3 at Rocky 52
Dead Kennedys - California Über Alles mp3 at Ebianchi (?)
SurfGuitar101.com 2016 Compilation at Internet Archive 23 songs.

4 comments:

EG-Markus said...

I'll take any kind of surf, good or bad, over the crap they present on those music awards show.

Tom G. said...

Which begs the question, why the hell watch music awards shows? Waste of time.

EG-Markus said...

To clarify, I don't watch them. But I have an invalid relative who does and it is sometimes unavoidable.

Tom G. said...

I feel for you bro. Good on you for taking care of your relative, an honorable thing to do.