Sunday, June 21, 2015

SCHOOL'S OUT. TIME FOR SHOW TUNES.

So, Boogaloo Time just posted Ronnie Hawkin's version of George Gershwin's "Summertime", one of only, I don't know, one show tune that I like. I can't think of another. I didn't even realize it was from a musical until a few years ago. I was curious after hearing Ricky Nelson's cover, which is one of my favorites. It sounds kind of like him fronting the Yardbirds, though obviously it's not. It predates the Yardbirds by a few years, so they couldn't have even been an influence. There's a few other versions down there. Two great jazz versions, one by Charlie Parker and another by Sonny Rollins and Coleman Hawkins. The Brian Wilson one is down there because I went and listened to it, and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste a link. So it is actually time for show tunes, one song, but multiple versions. And they are all tunes.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ricky Nelson - Summertime mp3 at Internet Archive
Ronnie Hawkins - Summertime mp3 at Boogaloo Time Go there to get it.
Charlie Parker - Summertime mp3 at Digital Circus (?)
Sonny Rollins and Colman Hawkins - Summertime mp3 at Muzz Irkutsk (?)
Brian Wilson - Summertime (streaming) at YouTube

No comments: