Saturday, July 28, 2012

YAY FOR MILLIE!


If you watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics last night, you'd probably agree that there were some interesting moments for music freaks. If you watched the show in the U.S., you probably noticed that right when they got to the Sex Pistols part of the UK pop history segment, before you good say "My, how times have changed," it cut to a commercial. (It figures, eh?) I was curious about how that part was handled, so I went looking. I found a rather crude clip, filmed from a TV screen, and it's goofy. The performers had these big giant heads with spikey hair, and were pogoing on those springy prosthetic things that amputee athletes use. Like I said, it was goofy, not at all like the serious pogoing done by people with normal sized heads with spikey hair back in the day. It was kinda weird seeing the video images of the Sex Pistols on the big screen, with the lyrics flashing from the seats. Anyways, here's a clip.



The highlight of the music segment, for me anyways, was the inclusion of Millie Small's "My Boy Lollipop." It was totally unexpected, primarily because, even though the song was a huge hit in the UK, she's from Jamaica. She was the only artist included in that musical journey type segment that wasn't from the UK. And dang me if it wasn't nice to see her cute face singing on the big screen. Just think about how many people were viewing the opening ceremony. It was probably the most viewed single performance, albeit fleeting, of any Jamaican song ever.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop (English) mp3 at Le Blog de la Grande Chose
Millie Small - My Boy Lollipop (German/English) mp3 at Dust On the Stylus
Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant mp3 at Review Stalker

No comments: