Monday, July 2, 2012

2 1/2 MINUTES EACH. THAT'S IT.


Earlier today I was talking to a neighbor who plays in what turns out to be an exceptional cover band. Being that they're a cover band, I never really felt compelled to see them. But I knew that they had done shows where they'd covered entire albums, among them the Beatles Revolver, and the White Album. Being that those aren't the easiest collections of songs to accurately reproduce live, I figured I'd take a look at their YouTube videos. Meandering through them, I ended up hearing a snippet of their cover of the Music Explosion's "Little Bit O' Soul." With the blank scratch pad that is my mind after an eight hour day, it was easy bait. I started thinking about all of the songs that came out in the sixties that weren't earth shattering, but good solid radio fodder (for me years later, via oldies stations). The one hit wonders, as we now know them to be, must have had their Hope-O-Meters in the red when they watched their records climb the charts. They then had to struggle to harness the momentum, which they weren't entirely successful in doing, since we now know them as one hit wonders. They may have had other solid songs, but history now remembers just one damn song.

Bonus "hope I remember this one correctly" factoid: Lenny Kaye was working in a record shop. A girl comes in. He plays "Bristol Stomp" by the Dovells. They dance, and then make introductions. Her name was Patti.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Music Explosion: Little Bit O' Soul mp3 at Atom's Ribs
The Swingin' Medallions - Double Shot mp3 at Beware of the Blog
The Dovells - Bristol Stomp mp3 at Rocky-52

No comments: