Sunday, June 17, 2012

FOR THE LOVE OF DIRT


The Japandroids covering the Gun Club? Neneh Cherry covering the Stooges? Found on the NPR site? What the hell is going on here? Is this Bizarro World? This reminds me of the time I saw a photograph of a cheap stereo in a Sears catalog with the New York Dolls' Too Much Too Soon LP leaned up against it. (It was about 1980, several years after the album came out, so I figured that some hipster had infiltrated.) Yeah, I know, NPR is really okay, but still, Stooges and Gun Club? Who would have guessed way back when? I kind of like the idea of some old fogeys giving these things a listen after watching Masterpiece Theater. (Oh shit, I just realized I missed the Early Bird special.)

The Japandroids new LP has a cover of the Gun Club's "For the Love of Ivy," which is pretty faithful to the original. Nothing earth shattering by any means, but nice of them to tip their hats. The Neneh Cherry cover of the Stooges "Dirt" though, is something I'll probably shell out for at some point. It's on her latest LP, The Cherry Thing, with jazz combo The Thing. They do a bunch of other covers too, among them Suicide's "Dream Baby Dream." Those two from The Cherry Thing deserve a listen, so I'm not waiting until online downloads present themselves.

Note: After consulting Wikipedia (I know), I realize that this is just a loose Seinfeld type interpretation of Bizarro World, but I left that line in so I could hep you to the Bizarro Code: "Us do opposite of all Earthly things! Us hate beauty! Us love ugliness! Is big crime to make anything perfect on Bizarro World!" (I want to party with these guys.) I kind of scanned the rest of the Wiki page, and I gotta tell you, the more I read about Bizarro World, the closer I am to packing my bags. If you're not hooked by the second paragraph, you don't have enough weird in you.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Japandroids - For the Love of Ivy (streaming) at NPR Scroll down the page to hear single songs
Neneh Cherry and the Thing - Dirt (streaming) at NPR Scroll down the page to hear single songs
The originals:
The Gun Club - For the Love of Ivy (streaming) at YouTube
The Stooges - Dirt (streaming) at YouTube
Further listening:
The Gun Club - Fire of Love at Kill Your Pet Puppy LP in two side length mp3s.
Visit:
Bizarro World at Wikipedia

No comments: