Thursday, June 28, 2012

DAD WAS PISSED


A week or so late, but still, I feel obligated. I was actually still in school when Alice Cooper's "School's Out" came out. Imagine wanting nothing more than to be cut loose from the grind, with only a couple weeks separating you from three months of total goofing off, and hearing it for the first time. During the summer, it as a constant reminder of where you weren't. It was like living in some sort of corny teen flick. And, surely one of the best rock lyrics ever in the fourth line of the second verse, "We've got no class, we've got no principles, we've got no innocence, we can't even think of a word that rhymes!"


"Under My Wheels," ca. 1971

Alice Cooper wasn't the first singer to become a parody of himself, and he's surely not the last. But, boy, back in the day, did he know how to get kids riled up. That lasted all of three or four LPs. Then a series of less challenging albums and tours featuring his well worn schtick of eye make up and stage props. I can't remember exactly how he gained entry to my Who's Who of Rock Schmucks but he's been there for some time, well before he said of Sarah Palin "I think she's totally a breath of fresh air," in 2008. But, if it's a rocker, I'll admit it. And "School's Out" was, as were several others on those first few. Still, he's out.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Alice Cooper - School's Out mp3 at William Burkey
Alice Cooper - Under My Wheels mp3 at USSMullinex
Alice Cooper - I'm Eighteen mp3 at Sibling Shot on the Bleachers

No comments: