Saturday, June 9, 2012

REVENGE OF THE NERDS, THE PREQUEL


Ladies and gentleman, horses and mules, I stand before you, to stand behind you, to tell you something I know nothing about. I just happened to run across a few Krautrock cuts that go well together. As blasphemous as it feels to post them the day after singing the Cramps' praises, it's all about soup to nuts here. So, here's one from Can, one from Neu!, and the full 22 minute version of "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk. I've no idea where the term Krautrock came from, it's always seemed inaccurate to me, but that's what it's called. If you think of a better term, I'm up for suggestions. All I know is that it is not rock 'n' roll. I just ran across the documentary below, and as I know nothing about this type of music, I'll be occupied for the next hour (part one is below, and the other five parts are with the links at the bottom).


Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany, Part 1 (Parts 2-5 below)

[Note: the first sentence of this post is plagiarized, word for word, from a speech by one Chad Patton, a grade school friend of mine. It runs in my head every time I breach a subject of which I know little. Chad was addressing the O.B. Rangers, a splinter group of YMCA Indian Guide defectors, from Ocean Beach, California. It was a father and son group, conceived by the dads, who were sick of the rules and expense of the Indian Guide franchise. I've remembered that speech introduction all these years and I'll be damned if those words are going to go to waste.]

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Can - Oh Yeah (1971) mp3 at The Decibel Tolls
Neu! - Hallogallo (1972) mp3 at Musik Kurier
Kraftwerk - Autobahn mp3 at Get the Curse
Video:
Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany, Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6 at YouTube
Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany, Full version at YouTube
Visit:
Krautrock.com
Krautrock entry at Wikipedia

No comments: