Wednesday, March 21, 2012

THERE YOU ARE AGAIN


I first time I heard Fanny Franklin, it was on stuff by Orgone, a duly funky outfit from the L.A. area. A short time little later she popped up on Dennis Coffey's latest (which is really about the best endorsement a singer could ask for). A couple months later, I was walking home from the beach and I ran into Orgone, playing a mid-summer street fair that was just about three blocks from where I sit right now. And today she left a message that she was trying to get the word out about her solo stuff. I figured I'd better pass the word, because the way things are going, the next time I run into her might be outside my back door.

A rather easy comparison would be to call her a west coast Sharon Jones, but that would be selling her short. While there are similarities in trajectories, her thing seems a little more laid back and not quite so, well, dead on. Not that it's a bad thing. Just different. West coast different, if that makes any sense. Though I couldn't find any downloads of her solo stuff, you can hear it at Soundcloud, and she's got stuff on iTunes as well. For now, here's her with Orgone, and with Coffey.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Orgone featuring Fanny Franklin - Do Your Thing mp3 at Seattle Subsonic
Dennis Coffey, featuring Fanny Franklin - Don't Knock My Love, Pt 1 mp3 at American Athlete
Orgone - Who Knows Who mp3 at Ear It Now
Video:
Orgone - Doing Me Wrong (Live on KEXP) at YouTube
Visit:
Fanny Franklin official site
Fanny Franklin at Soundcloud
Fanny Franklin at Facebook

No comments: