Thursday, November 3, 2011

WHAT DOES "GO NUTS" MEAN?


I didn't start out looking to do a Skeeter Davis post. Truth be known, tonight was to be Sun Ra's night. Unfortunately I couldn't find "Rocket Number Nine," which has got to be the most elusive song I've ever tried to hunt down. In looking for "Rocket Number Nine," I was reminded that NRBQ did a cover of it on their first album, back in 1969. So, I thought I'd look for that. Couldn't find that either, but I ran into a couple songs NRBQ did with Skeeter Davis, in 1985. I'd put off checking out that collaboration for, well, decades. So I stuck my toe in.



Skeeter Davis was a crossover country singer, best known for her big hit "The End of the World." Don't expect a a lot of country twang in the vocals on these. The operative word is crossover. Just about the only thing country on some of these is some fine picking. If you're not familiar with her, check out the cuts below and you'll be three ahead of where I was before my aborted Sun Ra search. I gotta say, if I was cognizant of her in her heyday, I'd be thinking "get a little crazy, would ya?" (But I guess that's why there's Sparkle Moore.)

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~

No comments: