Thursday, January 25, 2024

MUDDY WATERS CURES AMNESIA


I guess my memory isn't totally shot. I can remember some shit. Yesterday I was watching a live clip of Muddy Waters and, for whatever reason, a light bulb went off. For years I'd been racking my mind trying to remember how my brothers and I knew, as early as high school, that Muddy Waters's real name was McKinley Morganfield. This was well before the internet. While watching the video, I took a pee break and before I got back to the video a mental snapshot of my twin brother appeared. He was in the food court at high school holding a Muddy Waters LP under his arm. Then I remembered! The album was a compilation that he had. The title? McKinley Morganfield AKA Muddy Waters. I checked Discogs to see if my memory was correct and, lo and behold, there it was. I recognized the cover the minute I saw it. So, here's some assorted Muddy Waters stuff to celebrate. It's not often you answer a question that has dogged you your entire adult life.


The live clip is above, A few songs from that same performance are below along with a hour long documentary. Haven't watched much of it yet but the ten minutes I did watch had Robert Gordon (the music writer, not the singer of the same name) and Keith Richards. If they got those two, I have to think that it will be good. The ten minutes I've seen so far were engaging. Bonus: Watch this proto-Deadhead go off.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Muddy Waters - Baby, Please Don't Go (live) mp3 at Internet Archive Newport Jazz Festival 1960
Muddy Waters - Got My Mojo Working (live) mp3 at Internet Archive Newport Jazz Festival 1960
Muddy Waters - I Got My Brand On You (live) mp3 at Internet Archive Newport Jazz Festival 1960
Muddy Waters - I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man (live) mp3 at Internet Archive Newport Jazz Festival 1960
Muddy Waters - Tiger In Your Tank (live) mp3 at Internet Archive Newport Jazz Festival 1960
Watch:
Muddy Waters - Can't Be Satisfied (2003) Documentary
at YouTube

No comments: