Sunday, December 4, 2022

"MUDDY AND GENEVA" (DOPE COMPOSITION)


Call me dense. I've been listening to Muddy Waters since high school and have known the song "I Can't Be Satisfied" for decades. I did not realize that it was his first record and that it was on the awkwardly named The Aristocrat of Sound label, released in 1948. The song is on all sorts of Chess Records compilations so I'd always assumed that it was a Chess product. Did Chess license the recording? Just like that I slipped into a two day Chess Records rabbit hole. Long story short: Leonard and Phil Chess recorded Muddy Waters for Aristocrat and then bought the label itself and changed the name. They were jazz guys and this was the first blues thing they took a stab at. It quickly sold out. From that we have not only Muddy Waters's prime years, but Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Bo Diddley, Chuck Berry and on and on. An awesome gamble.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Muddy Waters - I Can't Be Satisfied mp3
at Internet Archive 1948
Muddy Waters - You're Gonna Miss Me mp3
at Internet Archive 1949
Muddy Waters - Rollin' and Tumblin' mp3
at Internet Archive
1949
Muddy Waters - Where's My Woman Been? mp3
at Internet Archive 1950

No comments: