Saturday, February 5, 2022

MASK UP AND GET THE SHOTS THEATER


Oh man, I must have been in my twenties but I remember it like it was yesterday. My friend Ed and I were hanging out and between beers and/or bong hits, we were thinking of the future when we'd be old and crotchety and we'd be saying to young snots "Sex Pistols, now there was a band!" Many laughs over that. But guess what. The day has come. So, I'll say it,  "Sex Pistols, now there was a band!" I was reminded of that incident when I ran into the flick There'll Always Be An England, a live concert film of the Sex Pistols playing in London in 2007. Here's what brought on the flash back: The concert was thirty years after their formation (actually I think it's thirty one years). So, what you see in the film is a band playing songs that were the rage thirty (one) years earlier. Say the Sex Pistols were fully on their game in 1977. How many young people in 1977 would go, enthusiastically, to see a band that was in their prime thirty years earlier, in 1947? Shit, I can't even think of a single song that I know of from 1947.

You could say that the Sex Pistols reuniting at all kind of goes against the intent of the 1977 Sex Pistols. It kind of looks that way. I'm way passed giving a shit what they do. It's entertainment. It is rock 'n 'roll and there's nothing wrong with that. This film isn't just some slap dash shakily shot cheap footage. It was directed by Julien Temple and the music producer is Chris Thomas who produced the Pistols' early stuff. Fucking Lydon though. He's so damn full of himself. Makes sense that he's expressed admiration for fucking Trump. (A description and set list can be found on his site.)


~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sex Pistols - Anarchy In the UK mp3
at Ebaums World
Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen mp3
at Clones Project

No comments: