Saturday, February 12, 2022

AW FUCK.


Just a few days ago I had decided to revisit the Detroit Cobras after not listening to them for a couple years. I happened on a live video of "As Long As I Have You". That voice of Rachel Nagy's had far more range that I remembered. In the video she sounds at times like Chrissie Hynde with added gravel, but on the choruses when she really ramps it up she hits Janis Joplin territory. After watching the video I got to thinking about the Detroit Cobras, how they've been dissed over the years because they do all covers. What? Everyone does covers. If it's a good song who cares? Oh, I know, all those singer-songwriter types that can't conceive of someone else getting the publishing royalties. The bands with grand schemes to be huge, rock stars with money flowing in from multiple streams. Beside them, who really could give a shit who wrote a song? If it's good, it's good. Especially in the hands of band like the Detroit Cobras who always sound exactly like the Detroit Cobras, thanks in no small part to Nagy's voice. They have a steady swagger that says "I'm a lifer", the no shits given attitude. Let the others chase fame, tell us how it is.



Okay, so I'm going off. Within a few hours I'm thinking that the Detroit Cobras are the greatest party band ever. I really did re-examine them for an inordinate amount of time, even for me. I got to thinking about them too much so, shit, let's round up some shit for a post. Yeah. If you know, you know. When I did a search for an image I ran right smack dab into it. Rachel Nagy died in January. Fuck. There will be no replacing her. Rest in peace rocker lady.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: