Friday, January 21, 2022

WAY LATE TO THIS PARTY


It seems to me that I'd heard somewhere that Beninese singer Angelique Kidjo covered the entire Talking Heads Remain In Light album. I finally heard one of the cuts last night, "Crosseyed and Painless". Wow. It's a great take and interesting since it's from the period when Talking Heads were heavily influenced by afrobeat and Fela Kuti, both from Nigeria which is right next door to Benin.

I ran into the song on mix from an old post at Black Squirrel Amusement. The mix is only streaming but it's good, what I've heard anyway.  It also has John Lurie. Ry Cooder, Eli "Paperboy" Reed, War, Laura Nyro, John Coltrane, Bettye LaVette and a heap of others I don't know. Just enough familiar names with unfamiliar songs and complete unknowns to evaluate on musical merit alone. My kind of mix.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Angelique Kidjo - Crossseyed and Painless
(streaming) at YouTube
Talking Heads - Crosseyed and Painless mp3
at By Way Of
The Mix:
June 2018 Mix - Knottserious
at Black Squirrel Amusement

No comments: