Saturday, January 15, 2022

THE WAY WE WERE


My sister lives downtown near the ballpark. The perk of that location is hearing strains of Paul McCartney singing live drifting in your window from blocks away. The non-perk is tonight. Monster trucks. That culture is totally alien to me, which is why I kind of like it. Like mullets, if it gets them off, more power to 'em. The same goes for mud runs, tractor pulls and demolition derby. Not my thing but if they raise a freak flag, whatever.

So my sister mentioning the monster trucks sent me to look for videos of that ilk to reaffirm the "I can't believe that people get off on this shit" cultural voyeurism. Then I remembered I'd posted a funny video of a demolition derby a while back, all the cars were pulling trailers. I found it and it's fucking hilarious. The video was on a post from 2016 that had some Sonic Youth that I hadn't heard in a while. Click. Talk about a time warp! Sonic Youth was part of the playlist, the soundtrack of my life, but only for a few years, maybe five. "Erik's Trip" and "Dirty Boots" were both in that era, in that soundtrack. Hearing them again set me right back with the friends I used to hang with. Most of them have moved away, it just ain't the same. Like Kim and Thurston. Sniff, sniff.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Sonic Youth - Eric's Trip (Live 1990) mp3 at Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth - Dirty Boots (live 1990) at Sonic Youth
Sonic Youth - More mp3s at Sonic Youth Some good stuff

Video:
Banger Caravan Racing Ipswich
at YouTube

2 comments:

missjulied said...

I miss you too.

Tom G. said...

Howdy Julie!
Good to hear from you! I really do miss those the days, that is with the exception of the hangovers, That said, hangovers were the perfect excuse for OB speedballs!