Sunday, January 9, 2022

THE GUY WITH THE GAPING PIE HOLE GETS IT


Hell, I'm not going to front. I was bugged a while back by a comment that someone left about Big Jay McNeely. They mentioned how they didn't care for his particularly honk-saturated method of playing. I didn't counter-comment at the time, figuring that it was a to each his own situation. That's bugged me, that I didn't set this character straight. Finally today I went looking for the comment but it must have been on a post about someone else but the comment itself about McNeely. Regardless, let me get this out of my system right now: McNeely's honking style is exactly what is great about him. If someone doesn't like honking sax, then they may as well write off half of early rock 'n' roll and a good sized chunk of early rhythm and blues. Not liking the honking sax of Jay McNeely is like not liking the feedback of Jimi Hendrix's guitar. Davie Allan without fuzz. Unthinkable.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Big Jay McNeely - Jay's Frantic mp3 at Internet Archive
Big Jay McNeely - Psycho Serenade mp3
at Internet Archive
Big Jay McNeely - Just Crazy mp3
at Internet Archive
Big Jay McNeely - Wild Wig mp3
at Internet Archive
Big Jay McNeely - Mule Milk mp3
at Internet Archive

1 comment:

Strontiumchin said...

That picture always reminds me of the passage in 'On the Road' where the narrator gets his mind blown by someone like Big Jay...

Keep up the good work, son. Diggin' it in tropical Australia...