Monday, November 18, 2019

IT'S LOUNGE MUSIC SOMEWHERE.

There I was, just listening to the jazz station. It can be hit or miss sometimes. There are good shows, featuring sub-genres like Latin jazz or free jazz. There's also some less thematic shows could easily veer into the dreaded new age-y shit, softy light jazz ("cool" or otherwise). Tonight I was walking out the door to head out to the alley and they started playing a tinkly, almost lounge-y version of the theme to Star Wars. It was complete total crap. (Though it did remind me of the old SNL clip of Bill Murray as a lounge singer doing a vocal cover of it.) I had to get me away from there. I turned off the radio. Melvins to the rescue.

Switching the fuck away from lounge-y jazz corn, you couldn't ask for a better route than straight to the Melvins. The first thing I checked out was kind of lame. Them doing "Let It All Bee" as part of some sort of CD Rom magazine (remember those?). It's linked at the bottom. The video directly below though is great. From 2018, with Steve McDonald (Redd Kross) on bass. Or second bass. That's part of what makes it sound so thick. One guitar, two bassists and a drummer. This is some heavy shit.


Check the song "Hooch". Try to figure out what he's singing, then go to one of the lyric sites to see how they heard it. Yee haw.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Melvins - Hooch mp3 at Tumblr
The Melvins - The Kicking Machine mp3 at Wired
Video
The Melvins - Let It All Be
at YouTube Launch CD Rom magazine

Visit:
The Melvins - Hooch lyrics at Genius
The Melvins - Hooch lyrics
at AZ Lyrics

3 comments:

espen E said...

Hey Tom! I swear there must be some sort of telepathic connection between your transatlantic part of the world and here. Just last evening, when I came home from work, the kids – seated at the dinner table, eyes glued to their portable computers – were listening to some grungy tune, playing over Isaks tinny sounding laptop. I asked him which band he was listening to. "Uh, Melvins?..". Well, as it turns out, meanwhile in San Diego; "Hey Tom, what's that filthy noise you're using to wash out the lounge jazz from your ears?"... "Uh? Melvins!".

Stay filthy Tom!

ee

Tom G. said...

Ha! If I ever have kids (which admittedly is a little late in the game to contemplate) I could only wish to have kids as cool as yours! Pat Isak on the head for me and tell him to keep fighting that awful lounge jazz!

And you stay filthy yourself Espen!

espen E said...

Thanks Tom... As much as I regularly chew their sourpuss asses off for not doing the stuff they SHOULD be doing (probably better than; doing stuff they SHOULDN'T be doing, I suppose), I guess they're pretty cool... And I'll be sure to tell them you said so.

e