Wednesday, November 27, 2019

BAND SHOT

It just occurred to me that it isn't unusual for me to remember when I first saw or heard a record or CD, even if it had been years earlier. I'm sure that only applies to records that end up being memorable later, but it's still surprising after I surveyed a few random selections. To wit, one of my earliest musical memories: I remember where I was when I first saw the Beatles' "Rubber Soul" and Jimi Hendrix's "Are You Experienced?". It was at my cousin's house. She was older than me and the first person I knew that actually owned records.

This shit came up because I ran into a song by Death From Above 1979. I remembered where I was when I first saw their CD. It was at a listening station in the back corner of a Tower Records store that has since closed. Tower Records has been out of business for some time, and after looking up Death From Above 1979's discography, I see that the CD in question was released back in 2004. But the band has been on my need to hear more list for the ensuing fifteen years, and now I'm finally getting around to it. One thing I'd remembered about them is that these crazy motherfuckers don't have horns in their band. They don't have a keyboard player either. No rhythm guitarist, and they're  not a power trio, because they don't have a guitarist at all. It's just bass and drums, and not that trippy electrowhatever either. Nor some Sly and Robbie trip. This shit is thick.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:

No comments: