Friday, November 15, 2019

AFRICA GAVE THE BEAT. WE GAVE DAVIE ALLAN.

This is a rare jam. I'm sure that it is almost impossible to find a vinyl copy, but it has been on at least one compilation that I own. The introduction to the post read as so: "A massive Nigerian psyche/Afrobeat number for you today. Babalawo was the b-side to The Thermometers' 1973 single...". It had me at "Nigerian psyche/Afrobeat" and "1973". I was in disbelief, not because of it's scarcity, but because of where I ran across it. Fucking Hype Machine. That used to be a go-to music blog aggregator for me. There used to a bunch of good music blogs linked there, but it's become total crap in recent years. This weeks flavor, over and over again. And you know as well as I do, this weeks flavor usually sucks. I hadn't checked it in a long time, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Imagine my surprise when I actually came across a worthy blog, doubly satisfying because I'd been to it a number of times in the past. Go visit Doklands. Tell 'em "Hype Machine sucks. You're cool."

The song itself is great. I'm sure you read "psyche/Afrobeat" with a little skepticism. I'll be damned if the description doesn't fit. Oh, but that fuzz tickles my innards.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Thermometers - Babalawo (streaming) at YouTube
The Thermometers - Babalawo mp3
at Doklands Go there to get it.

No comments: