Wednesday, April 10, 2019

THIS HERE IS THE SHIT

A while back the jazz station played an old interview with Art Pepper, about his 1957 LP Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section. Let's see how good my memory is. I could have it all fouled up. If I remember correctly the Rhythm Section was Miles Davis's just sacked rhythm section, the recording date arranged by Pepper's wife without his knowledge and he just found out the night before. He'd never met the players and hadn't played in weeks. When he retrieved his sax the reed was bone dry and splitting. He was just off smack. I think I remember that it was after a stint in either rehab, the hospital or jail. Nevertheless, what was achieved at the session rivals anything Keith Richards was able to do coming off smack. When I heard the LP all I could think of was what inherent feel Pepper must have had to be able to do that cold. The LP is, I'm told, a West Coast meets East Coast classic, and I'm not one to argue particularly because I'm only just learning to hear the difference between East Coast and West Coast. Whether my memory is accurate or not, it provided me an Exile On Main St. type association, a vibe, where all of the crappy circumstances aren't enough to blunt what is going on. Some magic shit.

Here's a few things to warm you up, a couple not from that LP, and a link to the whole album at YouTube. Do check the thing at Rubber City Review, an excellent profile with ten cuts (a few are below). Dig his cover of "Caravan" from 1977. Just insane.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Art Pepper - Caravan mp3 at Rubber City Review
Art Pepper - 'Round Midnight mp3 at Space Age Pop
Art Pepper - Straight Life mp3
at Rubber City Review From Meets the Rhythm Section
Art Pepper - Birks Works mp3
at Rubber City Review Ditto
Art Pepper - More songs and excellent profile
at Rubber City Review
The LP:
Art Pepper - Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section
(streaming) at YouTube

3 comments:

Alaska said...

Ay Tom you're in San Diego right? Visiting in the Fall. Would love to grab a beer if you're down for it.

Tom G. said...

Well, Alaska, that would be fine if I knew you. Do I? That's not a "no" but there's another thing, I'm an alcoholic, dry for twenty two years. A good thing, the bar tab would eat your return trip if I still drank. But still, hooking up might be a cool thing. Depending on what part of the fall you're talking about, it could still be beach weather. Whatever, stay in touch and we'll figure out something.

Alaska said...

Fair enough. Don't make that kind of drinkin money anyway. I'll be at the Adams Ave street fair in Sept.