Friday, April 5, 2019

KID BROTHER AS SELECTER

I was talking music with a friend of mine today and mentioned that my younger brother had posted a Mott the Hoople thing on Facebook a couple days ago and how it had sent me right back to the boys room. The boys room, our shared bedroom, was rock 'n' roll ground zero for my brothers and I, all through our teens until we came of age and moved out. When we did leave home, we did so with our own part of the record collection that had grown over the years with surprisingly little overlapping. Having little duplication, it was a little daunting having to decide what part of the other brothers' collections to go out and buy for ourselves. Think about that, two thirds of the vinyl that you've had access to, gone the day you move out of the house.

One LP that was almost immediately purchased by both my twin brother and I was Mott the Hoople's Mott. We all had our own bands in the boys room and Mott the Hoople was my one of my younger brother's. The other two of us couldn't be without it. It's remained a favorite ever since and every time I listen to it I think of my bros. So, you can imagine the horror of finding out my friend who I'd been talking music with today was not familiar with Mott the Hoople. He's half my age so it really isn't all that surprising. But it made me think that I'd better post Mott the Hoople stuff to pass the torch handed to me by my thirteen year old brother.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes mp3 at ATumblr
Mott the Hoople - All the Way From Memphis mp3 at Mercury Paradise
Mott the Hoople - Honaloochie Boogie mp3 at Egloos (?)
Mott the Hoople - Barking Up the Wrong Tree mp3 at Rockabilly Bash Total oddball, full rockabilly. Goofy dialog ends at :58
Video:
Mott the Hoople - Under Review (documentary) at YouTube 1:21 minutes

2 comments:

Snail said...

Hah! I saw this as I was listening to "One of the Boys" by Mott the Hoople (an old version done in 1971). Old habits (and music tastes) die hard--or better yet, live valiantly.

Tom G. said...

World, meet Snail. He would be the younger brother I spoke of in the post above and several other posts over the years. That comment above is is first in the twelve years I've been doing this God forsaken blog. Hopefully it won't be his last!