Saturday, May 19, 2012

WAIVER GRANTED


I am not one for disco. But the "disco sucks" people have got it all wrong. You can't say it all sucks, that's like saying the Yankees suck. You might not like the Yankees, or disco, but you have to acknowledge quality when it's right in front of you, even if it is the American League, or disco. So this is the time I include a couple disco songs. One reason is because Donna Summer's "Love to Love You" is like the "Johnny B. Goode" of sexy disco. All disco is inherently sexy, that's what disco does, but not all this well. So, Donna Summer's recent passing reminded me of the song, so I had to hear it again. Holy fake sex Batman! I remember there being a fuss when it came out, but forgot the specifics. Just listen to it. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you will.

This also might be the only opportunity to plug Giorgio Moroder. Listen to "I Feel Love." It's like Kraftwerk backing Donna Summer. Moroder did that. This was about the time of Kraftwerk's Man Machine, in case you're wondering. There is a great long and detailed story about the song at Sound On Sound, if you're interested. It includes some pretty interesting tidbits. If you have any interest in the genesis of the Summer/Moroder collaborations (three LPs), or Moroder in general, you should read it. Disco night is now over. Take that goddamn ball with you.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Donna Summer - Love to Love You Baby mp3 at Blaxpolitation
Donna Summer - I Feel Love (Patrick Cowley remix) mp3 at Loft and Lost
Giorgio Moroder - Chase mp3 at Disco Workout From the soundtrack to the film Midnight Express
Visit:
Classic Tracks: Donna Summer "I Feel Love" at Sound On Sound

No comments: