Tuesday, May 15, 2012

OH, WHAT THE HELL

Here's a couple that feature guitarists playing on instrumentals under names you might not recognize.  The first is a restrained Link Wray playing with the Moon Men, presumably a name used for throwaway instrumentals.  Playing almost as if he's looking at his watch, it sounds like he's hearing the rhythm for the first time, like he's just making it up on the spot.  Just a reminder that Link Wray, contrary to what was commonly thought around here, was, in fact, mortal.  Nowhere near his sinister sounding best.  The other song features a young Roy Buchanan, who put out some blues rock stuff that I used to go nuts over when I was in my mid-late teens.  (Listen to his version of "Hey Joe" at YouTube.  Listen to the lead that starts at about 2:57.  Hard to believe that I used to get off on that sort of stuff.  How do you even come close to shaking what you got to that?)  In the case of these two songs, I think I'd appreciate them more if I didn't know who was playing on them.  I tell you what though, I will not rest until I can acquire twenty four hours of faceless dime store variety instrumentals; and these suckers will take up about five or six minutes.  Get outta my way, I've got a project goin' here.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen: 
The Moon Men - Some Kinda Nut mp3 (via Box.net) at The Slow Drag
Bobby Gregg - Potato Peeler mp3 at Diddy Wah

No comments: