Thursday, April 26, 2012

IF THAT'S WHAT YOU SAY IT IS

It was a one-two punch.  Actually a one-two-three punch.  I've never considered myself a huge Tex-Mex fiend.  I could take it or leave it.  It was one of those types of music that was always in that larger genre, "I'll get to that."  But it was a random click on The Adios Lounge (punch one) that made me loosen up.  Already on my map because of this post some time ago, I was occasionally poking around over there.  Several months ago I clicked randomly on a song by the George Baker Selection, "Little Green Bag" (punch two).  I don't remember my mood that night, but it was one of those nights that I was randomly clicking on multiple sites trying to expose myself to stuff completely unknown to me.  "Little Green Bag" most certainly hit the spot.  It was in a post about Tex-Mex and the host was drawing parallels all over the place, and, as the George Baker Selection were Dutch, I was essentially entering Tex-Mex World through the back door.
  

I bookmarked the post, with plans on going back.  I should point out that my exposure to Tex-Mex was/is limited.  I've got an Augie Meyers LP, a Texas Tornadoes cassette, a Billy Bacon and the Forbidden Pigs CD, and have heard "She's About A Mover," like most of you, about a zillion times.  But still, I laid back.  Then, a few weeks ago I pulled out the Forbidden Pigs "Pig Latin," out and was listening to it as I drove around (punch three).  Now, part of it may have been knowing Bacon's demeanor, because he was the friend of a friend years ago, I used to see the Forbidden Pigs regularly. For whatever reason, "Pig Latin" was pushing buttons.  The album is a compilation of Tex-Mex type stuff that Bacon's band did over the years. Long story short, I'm now ankle deep in Tex Mex shit over at the Adios Lounge.  C'mon over.

This is the Beatles.  Might as well be.  The Tex-Mex Beatles.  What a goddamn line-up.   
Here's just a smattering, some Tex-Mex only by a loose thread, but they are all really, really cool.  I can't put it any better way.  (Sadly, I couldn't find any Billy Bacon stuff.)

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
 Listen:
George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag mp3 at The Adios Lounge
Barbara Lynn - You Can't Buy My Love mp3  at The Adios Lounge
Sir Douglas Quintet - She Digs My Love (1965-66) mp3 at The Adios Lounge 
Sir Douglas Quintet - Please Just Say So (1966) mp3 at The Adios Lounge
Sir Douglas Quintet - She's About A Mover (1965) mp3 at the Adios Lounge
Video:
Sir Douglas Quintet - Mendicino (from Playboy After Dark) at YouTube
The George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag at YouTube 
Visit:
The Adios Lounge: Sir Douglas posts 
The Adios Lounge Tex-Mex posts (some overlapping here)

No comments: