Saturday, April 28, 2012

THE HOUND IS THE MAN

When it comes to good posts, all you can really ask for is informative text, a handful of images and some well chosen music.  It's amazing how rare it is that someone gets that combination right.  Take it from me (as someone who doesn't get it right), as simple as that sounds, it's not all that easy.  It takes time and a good amount of musical knowledge to get it down pat.  When I need a taste of how it should be done, I head over to The Hound Blog and just browse.  My casual excursion usually ends up turning into a good hour or so of good ol' fashioned music education, often on just one post.  Such was the case when I landed on the Hound's post about Elmore James.  Forget Wikipedia, forget All Music Guide, forget all about those other sites that are all facts and figures, with no insights as to when a musicians best sides were cut.  Forget who "you might also like."  I might also like the Hound.  He does it right.  I tip my hat.

Here's just a couple of the songs from his Elmore James post, to satisfy the immediate gratification crowd.  The first is the original version of "Dust My Broom," recorded clandestinely by a label owner who James was under contract with, but refused to record for.  (Did I tell you?  The Hound is full of tidbits like that.) It features Sonny Boy Williamson on harp.  As for the other two down there, "Hawaiian Boogie," is one I happen to like, and "12 Year Old Boy," is down there because the Hound said it was good, and I will not ever second guess the Hound.  There are roughly twenty more cuts over there, and a good bio and recording history.  What are you doing?  Scram!

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Elmore James - Dust My Broom mp3 at The Hound Blog
Elmore James - Hawaiian Boogie mp3 at The Hound Blog
Elmore James - 12 Year Old Boy mp3 at The Hound Blog
Visit:
The Hound Blog  Bookmark it.  I mean it.

No comments: