Tuesday, November 14, 2023

DIVERSIONS RULE


I ran into a bunch of what's referred to as Mod Jazz. It's not the first time I've heard that term. Being an American too young (never mind on the wrong continent) to experience the whole mod thing in the sixties, I get my mod-ucation as hindsight. So I might have it all wrong. It seems to me that the music the mods favored, outside of mod bands like the Who, the Small Faces and so on, included ska, Northern soul, jazz, blues, and rhythm and blues. Not sure where mod jazz is in the middle of that. Tonight, after hearing a half dozed cuts, it occurred to me that this "mod jazz", along with Northerrn soul and soul jazz, was very similar to what was referred to as Popcorn by scenesters in Belgium. [This way to the black hole.] I tracked down the short documentary about the popcorn scene that I'd posted eight years ago (it's good, watch it) and then the wheels came off. I'm all over the place right now so these will have to do.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Booker T and the MGs - Soul Jam mp3
at Internet Archive
Bobby Bland - Honey Child mp3
at Internet Archive
Jack McDuff - Hot Barbeque mp3
at Internet Archive
Mac Rebennack = The Point mp3
at Internet Archive
Ray Bryant Combo - Sack O' Woe mp3
at Internet Archive

No comments: