Tuesday, August 15, 2023

ONE GOOD LONG PROG-JAZZ-ROCK JAM SPECIAL


The other night I was listening to the jazz station, the program "Bohemia After Dark". It's a good thing to have one when you feel like being surprised. Besides the sometimes offbeat jazz, I've heard Tom Waits, Fela, Ken Nordine, Gil Scott Heron and a bunch of other stuff you wouldn't really associate with jazz. That's precisely why I dig it. So the other night they (or rather her, Claudia Russell "your jazz kitten") played a song with some jammin' solos, guitar, electric piano, and organ In the middle of the song there was a drum part that really blew me away. After a few minutes I visited the station's web site to see the playlist so I could find a name to go along with the nasty jam.

Brian Auger and the Trinity, "Listen Here". Yeah. So I scoured, first to YouTube, to hear it again, then I poked around looking for an mp3. (No luck there so you'll have to settle.) Then I went to Discogs to check on the credits. I had to see who the drummer was. Oh jeez. There were six, count 'em six, percussionists on the song. (All listed at Discogs). The song had been on several Auger career spanning compilations but I wanted to find the album it originated from. There I saw it. Total fucking palm-to-forehead "Doh!!". It was on an LP I used to own. That tells you how much my tastes have broadened. Note that I said I "used to own". I know I had it. It was likely a 99 cent low-risk LP that was purged after taking it for a (obviously too short) test run. Who knows, I could still have it, about a half of my collection is unsorted. Anyway, the song is nine minutes long, the drum part is at 5:21, but start from the beginning. The whole thing is great. Cherry picking parts of songs isn't fair to the artist unless you're DJing or sampling, something like that. But listening, respect.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Brian Auger and the Trinity - Listen Here
(streaming) at YouTube

No comments: