Saturday, April 1, 2023

MEANWHILE AT RANDY'S RECORD MART


Here's some reggae covers, three out of the five were hits by their original artists. I'm not sure how big Marlene Shaw's "California Soul" was because I never heard it when I was younger, but I've heard it enough by now that it had to have charted somewhere. Regardless, Faye and Mystic's cover is a good one. The other artists below, Ken Boothe, Dennis Brown, Horace Andy and Jimmy Riley are singers that started much earlier and capable of a much rootsier sound, but not on these. These have post-eighties written all over them, from the slick production to the syn-drums and what not. Diehards will probably curl a lip. My guess is that these were part of some sort of covers LP project. I guess what I'm saying is that these were intended, by way of covering hits, to draw non-reggae people to the chalice. We all can't start with U Roy.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Ken Boothe - You Keep Me Hanging On mp3
at Internet Archive
Faye & Mystic - California Soul mp3
at Internet Archive
Dennis Brown - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay mp3
at Internet Archive
Horace Andy - Ain't No Sunshine mp3
at Internet Archive
Jimmy Riley - Sexual Healing mp3
at Internet Archive

No comments: