Monday, October 14, 2019

NEVER TOO SOON TO PLAN A PARTY

I don't think that a title has ever grabbed me quite as quickly. I mean, I perked up, noticeably, the instant I read three words. The funny thing is, I'd heard the song before but forgot about it completely. I think it was from an old issue of Waxpoetics, it had to be at least five or ten years ago. Something about how it's been sampled a zillion times, and it has. Listen to it. You may have heard some of the elements, the drums in particular. Just a short list of people who've sampled it includes Eric B & Rakim, N.W.A., Tupac, Wu-Tang Clan, Ice Cube, L.L.Cool J, De La Soul, Nas, and Biggee. And that's just in hip hop. There were plenty of others that dipped. Prince, George Benson, Amy Winehouse, and Stevie Wonder, to name a few. Reason enough to listen to it.

Another reason to listen to it is that, although written in the Nixon era, there aren't any references to Nixon by name. Here we have a song that truly is relevant a second time. Oh, and it's good song, regardless of lyrics, it nice and funky. But you'll want to sing along. You'd better.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Honey Drippers - Impeach the President (streaming) at YouTube
Visit:
Impeach the President (song entry) at Wikipedia
Impeach the President at Who Sampled Clips of songs that sampled it.

No comments: