Friday, March 22, 2019

GENE VINCENT'S ALL "GET OFF ME!"

Man, oh man. Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent, both absolute top tier early rockers. You know that. I just came across that photo above (high resolution here). Good enough to dig up a few that I haven't posted before. Even if you know these songs, they're likely on an LP or playlist and you're listening to multiple songs in succession. Do yourself a favor. Even if you, like me, have heard them a thousand times over the years, isolate one of them. Just set aside three minutes of your time and pick that shit apart. I've heard Cochran's "Ping Peg Slacks" hundreds of times, but it wasn't until tonight that I really heard him mid-song (at 1:04) with the snotty delivery on "I went to see my ba-behh!". I was cracking up. It sounded like some bratty twenty one year old kid, which it technically was. Catching that for the first time convinced me to pick apart others. Which is where I'm going. Liftoff.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Eddie Cochran - Pink Peg Slacks mp3 at Rockabilly Hall
Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps - Red Blue Jeans mp3 at Rockabilly Hall
Eddie Cochran - Nervous Breakdown mp3 at Rockabilly Hall
Gene Vincent and the Blue Caps - Pink Thunderbird mp3 at Rockabilly Hall

5 comments:

espen e said...

Back in the late eighties/early nineties, I was trying - to the best of my ability - to copycat the Wild World of the Cramps with my band. Musically at least. Needless to say we didn't have access to anything vastly close to Lux and Ivy's treasure chest of obscure old 45's, for inspiration/pilfering, so Eddie and Gene were two of the guys we turned to. Off the top of my head I can't remember exactly which Vincent songs we butchered, but I do know I have an 8-track recording of us doing Cochran's Nervous Breakdown buried somewhere. Never actually did a mix of it. Someday, though.

Espen

espen e said...

Just remembered; Woman Love was the Vincent tune we did for a while. Fooled around with a couple others too, but I think that's the only one that turned out halfway decent. Read at the time that Woman Love was banned on BBC (radio) for its risque lyrics. Didn't take much that's for sure.

Tom G. said...

Hey Espen! Man, a Cramps-like cover of "Nervous Breakdown" would be something to hear. And too bad that those "Songs the Cramps Taught Us" and "Lux & Ivy's Favorites" compilations weren't around back when you could have used them. But then again, there might have been a hundred bands covering the same songs. Thankfully, there's no shortage of oddballs out there that haven't been re-discovered. But you know that. Have you been doing any music lately?

espen e said...

(@doing music)

Well yeah, but mostly I've been tryin to teach myself the drums last couple years. Suffice to say I don't suck as much as I did before :). Also recently reconnected with one of my former guitar players so might be things happening bandwise but too early to tell exactly which direction that'll spin. Or if it'll spin at all.

E

PS. Check out some "new" older stuff of mine/ours here if you want: https://www.facebook.com/thebettermenthanyou/... my brother uploaded some pics+videos he had lying around.

Tom G. said...

Nice stuff! I'm surprised you still (presumably) have a voice!