Tuesday, January 3, 2017

STUDY HALL

I can't think straight. The past few weeks I've been ODing on music. New acquisitions, a couple of books, the most fruitful trip to a record store I've had in years, a little hang time with some old punk friends and reconnecting with one of the first reggae fiends I ever talked shop with. Haven't been much in the mood for slowing down. The two books I'm reading happen to be by the same author, Peter Guralnick. One is "Sweet Soul Music" an excellent read so far, all about Southern soul. I've had it since 1986, and had read parts but never cover to cover. So after thirty years I start reading it, get about halfway through it, and then Christmas comes and my sister gives me Guralnick's recently published bio of Sun Records and Memphis Recording Studio owner Sam Phillips. So I'm halfway through that as well. Busy, busy, I'm going to cut out and leave you with these Sun obscuros. They've been posted before, but it's been a few years.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Andy Anderson - Tough, Tough, Tough mp3 at Rocky 52
Warren Smith - So Long I'm Gone mp3 at Beware of the Blog
Mack Self - Mad at You mp3 at Rocky 52
Ike Turner - Get It Over Baby mp3 at Kollege Daily

No comments: