Sunday, December 28, 2014

THE GOOSEBUMP INDUCER

Sometimes hearing a song when you're not expecting to, even if you've heard it hundreds of times, will bring an instantaneous gut feeling, something along the lines of "I forgot what a hot shit song this is." That happened today in a record store. The song was "Rumble" by Link Wray, two and a half minutes of real attitude. Being in a record store that normally spins much lighter weight stuff, it was kind of out of context. Context in this case being within the four walls of my apartment. It made me think about how long it had been since I'd heard it played anywhere other then in my apartment or car. Not that it's that obscure. It was a hit when it came out and is on a million compilations of fifties and/or instrumental music, in other words, readily available.

Wray, as twee as he got. He'll still smoke your ass.


Maybe I rarely hear it because everybody in my crowd, whatever the hell that is, have already heard it themselves hundreds of times. Maybe it's because I don't get out much. Maybe it's because it seems so simple. There really isn't much going on in the song other than a general don't fuck with me attitude. Or so it seems. Read the thing at Wikipedia for the technical anolmanies, of which there are a few. All I care about is the feel, and no amount of factoids or other mumbo jumbo can accurately describe that.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Link Wray - Rumble mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - Run Chicken Run mp3 at A Tumblr (?)
Link Wray - Jack the Ripper mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - The Swag mp3 at Joe Troiano
Link Wray - Tijuana mp3 at Ray Carram

No comments: