Monday, February 24, 2014

THE NEW ORLEANS MACHINE

With Fat Tuesday just a week away, I thought I'd get jump on things and start tracking down some good ol' fashioned New Orleans R&B. I got as far as Home of the Groove and ka-bamm! Distraction hit. I don't even resist it anymore. I just go with it. Tonight it was Dave Bartholomew.

At Home of the Groove there's a half dozen songs there that'll get you in the mood for the last gasp of the this carnival season. The first cut is Dave Bartholomew's "Carnival Song", a completely, unequivocally, funky-ass top shelf old school New Orleans rump bumper, circa 1950. You mix that with volume, and a hot, crowded, and sweaty room, and you've got something volatile. After that, I made a beeline to "The Monkey Speaks His Mind" which isn't all that New Orleans sounding, but it's good, the lyrics thought provoking, and the way Bartholomew says "Yeeeaaahhh..."? I could keep going back for more of that all day.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Dave Bartholomew - Carnival Time mp3 at Home of the Groove It the link doesn't work, go there to get it.
Carnival Season 2014, Part 1 at Home of the Groove Five more songs and some really good reading.
Visit:
 

No comments: