Saturday, March 23, 2024

HEY! NO NEEDLE SHARING YOU TWO!


I let this sucker stew for a week because it was so out of left field, I didn't know what to think of it. Keith Richards doing a cover of Lou Reed's "I'm Waiting For The Man". If you know both artists and the song, you know this is unexpected. On the outside it seems to make sense. Both Reed and Richards were junkies and the song is about a guy waiting for his dealer. But I've never heard Richards even mention Reed, or the Velvet Underground (Reed's band). And I can't think of any other instance when he's covered a contemporary. I'm sure there have been instances but I'm too lazy to look. Feel free..

The beauty of letting this thing stew for a week was thinking about it a thousand ways. Was it a good thing? A bad thing? Richards trying to remain relevant to hipsters? A sell out? A chink in the armor? Or just an old rocker starting to relax a bit? I found myself cynical. Then, after after several days, I was reminded. I don't have to have an opinion about Keith Richards covering the Velvet Underground at all. It will in no way, shape, or form, disrupt or enhance my life. I don't have to like it or dislike it. It is.



~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Velvet Underground - I'm Waiting For the Man mp3
at Bijan Blog The original

1 comment:

Marc said...

As far as I know, it's from a new Lou Reed tribute album. I'm in the "old rocker starting to relax a bit" camp. I don't think he's doing it for the money, and sadly I'm not sure how relevant either Reed or Richards is to anyone under 30. I think he just did it for fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Marc