Thursday, August 18, 2022

COOL LID, NE PENSEZ-VOUS PAS?


I'm not a big yéyé nut, but I do like women singing in French; speaking in French is cool too. If you ever saw the old Addams Family TV show, I'm not quite Gomez, but close. So, checking out a song by Jacqueline Taieb, I'm sucked in first by the chord progression which sounds pretty similar to the Monkee's "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone". after a semi-spoken thing in French, in English she sings "Talking about my ge-ge-ge-generation". Now I'm listening. Later in the song she massacres the intro to "Tutti Frutti". Cool. The whole thing is a little harder sounding than a lot of yéyé. Intrigued by the two song references in English, I used an online translator thing to see what the lyrics were actually about. It's about her getting up in the morning, looking for her toothbrush, debating what sweater to wear and picking out some tunes. Rough translation highlight: "I want to put a record on to annoy neighbors who coo all day." Now I'm going totally Gomez.

As an adder there's the April March's "Chick Habit" that Quentin Tarantino used in Death Proof along with the original version of the song by France Gall "Laisse tomber les filles". Yé haw.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
Jacqueline Taieb - 7 Heures Du Mat mp3
at Internet Archive
France Gall - Laisse tomber les filles mp3
at Damnish
April March - Chick Habit mp3
at 10 Things I Hate About You

No comments: