Friday, April 6, 2018

MORE IMPORTANT, NOT BIG MOUNTAIN

Okay, if you're a reggae purist, you'd be tempted to shun the Grasspoppers. I know how you feel. I have an aversion to reggae bands from outside of Jamaica myself. But the Grasspoppers taught me something. Actually at least two things. One is that I shouldn't base my dismissal of non-Jamaican reggae on what I have seen in the U.S., which is disproportionately white (relatively speaking) and though well intended, often lame. If they're anywhere near a hackysack or college campus, get the fuck out. But, the Grasspoppers are not from the U.S., they are from Lisbon, Portugal, and more importantly they are open about reggae not being their main thing. That's the second thing I learned from them. If a band does not portend to be the real deal, you can drop the critical act. Still, they do a good job, and I'm not in the mood to be harsh anyway.

This is how they describe themselves:
"Working as an artistic collective connected to several artists from all areas in Lisbon, Maputo and Luanda, The Grasspoppers main areas of work are music production, events, remixing, blogging and movie making."  Okay then. I'm too damn laid back to put up a good fight.

~ NOTE: ALL MEDIA IS HOSTED BY THE BLOGS & SITES NAMED BELOW ~
Listen:
The Grasspoppers - Brown Skin Guy mp3 at Caipirinha Lounge
The Grasspoppers - Doo Doo Doo mp3 at Caipirinha Lounge
The Grasspoppers - Carta a Uma Cidade Adormecida mp3 at Caipirinha Lounge

Visit:
Grasspoppers at Bandcamp Nine more songs

No comments: